Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Celebrate May Day in Style!

This little daffodil girl has some flowers that seem ready to share for May Day.    The picture came from a wonderful blog that you can visit here.  Carolyn, from Antique Images, shares her many beautiful vintage treasures and has some delightful images that are perfect for Mother's Day. 


When I was a little girl, I made May baskets and delivered them to neighbors.  My mother was the one who taught me about this charming tradition.  Later, when I started teaching in Seattle, my first graders made beautiful May baskets using fresh flowers and empty strawberry baskets.  We went on a field trip to a local nursing home so the children could give the baskets to elderly residents.  It was one of my fondest memories from my student teaching experience.  Read about the tradition here.

I made this 4x4 image for a garden swap at Alphastamps.  Once I discovered the magic of glitter glue, I realized I just couldn't go back.  The dancers seem to be celebrating May Day.

I hope everyone has a beautiful flower-filled May Day today!  If you don't receive a surprise May basket on your doorstep, there's no shame in making one of your own. 


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful way to begin the month of May!

    Lori
    Foxglove Hollow

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw... I can just imagine how much the elderly folks would have treasured those little flower baskets! Happy May Day my mermaid friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I really appreciate your comments. If you like my work, please sign up to follow me.